Σελίδες

Moist Syrup Cake (Ravani)

2:32 μ.μ.

Moist, fluffy and extra syrupy.The most suitable words to describe this out-of-this-world dessert!With hints of lemon and orange, bits of coconut and a generous amount of fragrant syrup, it truly resembles heaven on a plate.We (Greeks) call it Ravani and it is a staple in every house that likes to keep it traditional.I used to "help" (rather cause chaos) my mother make it when I could barely put a sentence together.I have so many childhood memories of me and my mother baking cakes, syrup desserts and pies I believe that's the reason I grew to LOVE baking!I especially love the smell of a baked good and I admit that I can stand in front of an oven and watch a cake rise and get "golden brown" whether it'll be 20 or 30 minutes (I know I'm crazy).What more can I say than scream out loud: I LOVE DESSERT!

The ingredients you are going to need are very few and can be found pretty easily.That's what I love about cooking, you can make absolutely anything from scratch with just some imagination and whatever is left in your fridge.

This recipe calls for semolina, which can be found at any grocery store here in Greece.To be honest, I have no idea if you can get your hands on this specific ingredient where you live but I'm pretty sure you can order it online.I'm telling you it is really worth your time and money cause this cake is one the best ones you've ever had.

That's it from me till now, I hope you give this recipe a shot (it is sooo worth it) and if you do please comment down below and tag me on Instagram to see your amazing creations.And remember to enjoy every little bit of it, because you deserve it!

Moist Syrup Cake (Vegan)

 Serves: 16 generous pieces
 Prep. Time: 40'
 Baking Time: ~40'
Total Time: ~1 hour and 20'


Ingredients:

Syrup:

  • 2 cups sugar (any kind will work)
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • peel of 1/3 lemon
  • peel of 1/5 orange
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3 whole cloves (optional)

Cake:

  • 250 g vegan butter
  • 250 g sugar (any kind will work)
  • 250 g soy yogurt
  • 500 g fine semolina
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
  • zest of 1/2 a lemon
  • zest of 1/2 an orange
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • juice of 1 orange
  • 1 tsp baking soda

Method:

  1. Place all the syrup ingredients into a small pot, stir and bring to a boil.Bring down the heat to medium and let the syrup simmer for 5 minutes.Set aside to cool.
  2. Preheat your oven to 180C (350 F).Preferably use the fan setting.If your oven does not have a fan setting you might bake your cake for an additional 5-7 minutes.
  3. Place your butter and sugar into a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until fluffy (~4 minutes).Into the same bowl add your semolina, shredded coconut and soy yogurt and beat again.Lastly, add the lemon and orange zest and the lemon and orange juice with the baking soda poured into one of them (when you add the baking soda into the lemon or orange juice act quickly because the liquid gets foamy rapidly).Beat again until just incorporated.
  4. Pour the mixture into a greased baking tray, flatten with a spatula and bake for ~45 minutes.After the time has elapsed test with a toothpick or a knife to see if your cake is ready.If the knife or toothpick comes out clean that means it is ready to get out of the oven.
  5. When you get it out it of the oven and it is still hot, pour the cold syrup slowly and let it sit for at least 2 hours at room temperature so it soaks all the syrup.Cut in pieces and enjoy!





You Might Also Like

0 σχόλια

Instagram